Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Most Trusted Man in America


I was watching State of the Union today on CNN. They were recapping the news that long-time news anchor of CBS Evening News, Walter Cronkite had passed away. As a former photo journalist, I felt was moved at the news of his passing. They stated that with the passing of Cronkite so too went the last vestige of an era.

Cronkite was known as the Most Trusted Man in America. With the onset of twitter, blogging and other instant communications the era when everyone had to wait for the news to "come on" disappeared. CBS and NBC were the only networks where you could get the news on the same day as it happened because the broadcast was in the evening. Now, no longer is it only one person who delivers the information but a world wide network of people around the world. The news was once mystified and revered. It is now an ordinary occurrence to call/email/twitter a network/station and let them know what is happening. (I've done it.)

We no longer have the Most Trusted Man in America but the Most Actively Involved People in America. Good bye, Walter. I will miss your authoritative voice and unbiased reporting, but my melancholy is somewhat attenuated as I add my own authoritative voice to the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment